Weather-Proofing Your Home: The Importance of Exterior Paint and Finishes
Mother Nature puts your house at the whim of various hazards daily—from tornadoes and flash floods to sweltering summers and blizzards. This is why choosing your home’s exterior paint is more than just cosmetic. It’s key in preventing wear and tear and improving your house’s resale value.
Let’s, walk through how exterior paint can be a low-cost solution to weather-related damage. This way, you can better prepare your property for whatever nature throws its way.
Understanding the Impact of Weather on Homes
Weather presents a formidable enemy for many homeowners, making keeping up with home repairs and maintenance a constant battle. Consider the damage from even these common weather conditions over time:
- Sunlight and Ultraviolet (UV) Radiation. Prolonged sun exposure causes paint to fade as UV rays bleach out pigments. In turn, this causes exterior surfaces to deteriorate.
- Rain and Moisture. Water seeps into cracks and gaps in walls, leading to rotting, mold, or water damage, which can compromise a property’s integrity.
- Strong Winds. Strong winds can damage siding and uproot trees and plants that may devastate your property.
- Snow and Hail. Frigid temperatures and hailstorms can make roofs and gutters frail, damage siding, and cause cracks in your walls.
With climate change making weather harder to predict, it’s important now more than ever for homeowners to find ways to weather-proof their properties.
The Benefits of Exterior Paint and Finishes
Exterior paint and paint finishes are engineered to withstand harsh weather conditions. Often equipped with protective qualities that resist moisture, mold, and mildew, they are more durable, with ingredients to prevent them from cracking or blistering. In many cases, paints formulated for exterior surfaces also have longer-lasting pigments, keeping your house looking vibrant for longer, thus improving your home’s resale value.
Exterior paint also offers many weather-proofing benefits, such as:
- Protection against moisture and water damage by creating a barrier to prevent moisture and seepage.
- Prevention of mold and mildew as the paint seals, curbing the growth of fungi, mold, and mildew, which compromise your property’s integrity and pose health risks.
- Protection from sun damage, as exterior paint is formulated with UV-resistant ingredients to help prevent fading and discoloration.
- Protection of surfaces from moisture and heat, reducing repair frequency and extending your property’s lifespan.
However, keep in mind that not all paint is created equal. Be sure to choose high-quality exterior paint and ensure its proper application.
Cost-Effectiveness and Return on Investment
Wear and tear—aggravated further by weather damage—can only result in costly repairs. Recent data shows homeowners pay between $2,622 and $20,492 to repair their property after weather events. Meanwhile, the cost of painting a house’s exterior averages $3,091.
Investing in quality exterior paint and performing regular maintenance can protect your property from moisture infiltration, rot, mold, and serious damage by ignoring weather-related impacts. This can help rein in repair costs in the long run.
Protect Your Property’s Exterior Paint from Mother Nature’s Whims
No matter how sturdy your house may be, it’s not completely impervious to the elements. Exposure to scorching heat, bone-chilling cold, and heavy rain can damage a property’s exterior—and, eventually, its structural integrity. To safeguard your home from weather-related damage, one of the best precautionary measures you can take is a thorough paint job.
However, this isn’t an easy endeavor—so it’s best to leave it to the pros. That’s where the WOW 1 DAY Painting team can save the day. From choosing the right exterior paint to applying it seamlessly, our team of painters has the tools and know-how to give your home the protection it deserves.
Reach out, and let’s get painting today!
- Exterior Painting
- In The News
- Remodeling Ideas